Inscription about construction of the walls
Turus Patalius Gran(picus) Opiav(vi) f(ilius)
Venetus Lastimeis Hosp(oli) f(ilius)
pra(ifectei) murum locaverunt lon(gum)
pedes CXI alt(um) pedes XX eiste(m) prob(averunt)
Turus Patalius Granpicus, son of Opiav
Venetus Lastimeism, son of Hospoli
Prefects arranged the construction of the wall
111 feet long and 20 feet high and contracted the same
The stone inscription was found in 1848 next to the former city hall at the coast. The monument is important since it represents the oldest inscription in Latin language and writing found on the Croatian territory.
This stone inscription is an evidence of Roman administration in old Curicum (ancient name for the city of Krk) and it is dated in the middle of 1st century BC. Two Liburnians – ancient inhabitants of the island of Krk are mentioned, and they are merited for the construction of the walls. The sole fact that the inscription was written in Latin language and in the shape of roman public inscriptions tells us a lot about the existence of some form of roman administration, with which the process of romanization is strongly connected as its was largely based on the language assimilation. These two individuals had the function of a prefect which means that the administration of the city was given to the indigenous population, which in a way speaks in favor of peaceful assimilation on the island of Krk.
For those who want to know more
During the civil war between Pompei and Caesar on the territory of the Roman Empire in the year 49 BC, one of the war episodes took place at the coasts of the island of Krk, near the Krk bridge. Caesar’s general Antonius hid in the city of Krk where he had a port and there he was under siege. The walls mentioned in this inscription can possibly be exactly those walls behind which Antonius hid with his army.
An honorable Inscription for the Patron of Krk
XI Urb[a](nae) trib(unus) coh (ortis) VI
praet(oriae) et protector
Aug(ustorum) n(ostrorum trium). Patro
rum ob insignem
am statuam poni
… tribune of the XI. City (firefighting) cohort, tribune of the VI Pretorian cohort and protector of thee of our Augusts, patron of the glorious municipality of Krk, due to his remarkable goodness happily set to raise a statue.
An interesting public inscription found in 1860 on a square in front of St. Kvirin church dates to late Roman empire. The inscription mentions a highly ranked military person of unknown name (due to the damaging). This military officer carried out three tribunates and was a protector of three Augusts, most probably Valerian, Galien and Valerian junior. Citizens of Krk showed their gratitude to this patron by raising a statue in his honor, but unfortunately only the pedestal is preserved. However, this is not the reason why the inscription is important, it is important because he is the Patron of, as the inscription says, “the most beautiful city of Krk” «splendidisimi Civitatis Curictarum», so we can confirm that in the 3rd century Krk was an important city.
Grain stone measure
The grain stone measure was mentioned in 1543 for the first time. It is decorated with the relief of the winged lion, the symbol of St. Mark and Patron of the Republic of Venice. At that time, the stone measure was at Vela placa (main city square) where the trade took place and the tax was collected. In the 19th Century J.A. Patris in Krk writes that "the measure of grain was a measure of minica and kvartarola carved out in stone", in a place called the "kvartarola". "
The original stone measure for the grain had 4 measurable measures: MINICA 10-12 kg, KVARTAROL 5-6 kg, 2,5-3 kg ZDJELA and 1,25-1,75 kg PALJ . Today we can see two completely preserved measures of MINICA and KVARTAROL and one partially preserved ZDJELA .